Monday, September 1, 2014

Portown in 3D

[Edited]
In the 1970's, a man name J. Eric Holmes wrote the Basic version of Dungeons and Dragons. This was the now familiar "blue book" of rules that so many of us began with. His "Portown" sample dungeon became an iconic encounter that inspired many.

One of those many was Paleologos, who in 2010 created a map of Portown. Another was R.C. Pinnell, who in 20913 published a map and partial key of Portown based on Paleologos' work. I took his map, imported it into Sketchup and created a 3-d model.

Here are some .jpg images of what I have so far.









I am continuing to update it. The file is huge, but the more detail I can add the happier it makes me, and that's this is all about. I'll post updates occasionally. Anyone who wants to use my Sketchup file needs only to download Sketchup (it's free) and ask me for the file.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work. Very cool to see it come to life. By the way, the layout of Pinnell's Portown is based (with permission) on the work of Paleologos on DF, who mapped Holmes' details for the town on to a map of a medieval port in Crete. See:

    http://zenopusarchives.blogspot.com/2012/11/portown-by-paleologos.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! My work was inspired by the work of Paleologos and R.C. Pinnell, and would not be possible without theirs.

    ReplyDelete